Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

H pylori Pathogen or Colonizer

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

koshy
Genuine user

H pylori Pathogen or Colonizer

Post by koshy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:48 am

H pylori is it a pathogen or a colonizer ? How should we see it ? since clinical finding is an exception than a rule shall we not take it as a normal phenomenon that has protective function for the human race. Protects from Obesity and possibly diabetes and all the relates illness even CAD ?
Your thoughts on these.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: H pylori Pathogen or Colonizer

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:55 am

H. pylori causes disease, so it is a pathogen.

In order for a bacterial pathogen to cause disease, they first have to be able to colonize. In terms of H. pylori, yes.. it is a colonizer of stomach.

you can see it via microscopy examination on the histology slide.

http://www.hpylori.com.au/image/kochs.jpg

Is H. pylori a good bacteria? this is a very advance question. Some scientists believe that people who are infected with H. pylori when they are young, are less likely to develop asthma, allergies, and other immuno related diseases. So H. pylori may be a good bacteria for young host and not so good for adult host.

koshy
Genuine user

Post by koshy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:58 am

Please may I have a clarification. If the 50 percent of the total world population is infected with H.pylori, all of them do not have a disease profile as such. The legacy by which one calls them a pathogen is that you may say 100 percent of them has histopahological changes. BUT this is without any clinical sequalae as such as a rule.
Can you please substantiate the possible theorem that all the 100 percent of human beings infected with H.pylori has histopathological changes. Number of studies done with regard to this and please cite atleast few to make it credible.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:22 am

yes. almost everyone infected with H. pylori will have some degree of inflammation in the stomach. I wouldnt say 100% because many people are asymptomatic and they dont present themselves to the hospital to check for their inflammation level. I couldnt say if there is a totally non pathogenic strain. In animal, I have seen one case. The pathologist was surprised when I pointed to him the bacteria in a absolutely healthy gastric biopsy histology. As I said, the pathologist was surprised. meaning he hasnt seen one without inflammation before.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”