Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

Confusion re differing results of H Pylori tests

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

SAJ
Genuine user

Confusion re differing results of H Pylori tests

Post by SAJ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:38 pm

Hello. In 2009 I had a comprehensive stool analysis done by a US lab, which indicated that I had H Pylori. My UK general practitioner (family doctor) followed this up, in 2010, with the blood test, which was also positive. For various reasons we decided NOT to try eradication therapy. I now have gastritis, confirmed by endoscopy, and have had two further tests for H Pylori - another blood test, which this time was negative and a stomach biopsy, which was also negative. This has left me very confused. When I spoke to my current GP she wondered if this might have been brought about by the antibiotics I have had to take for other medical issues in the intervening 6 years. I was extremely ill in 2012 and had to have enormous quantities of a very broad spectrum antibiotic (I forget which ), although I wasn't on acid suppressants at that point, and I have subsequently had a couple of courses of clarithromycin, whilst on an H2 antagonist.
I would be grateful for any views as to whether: I am able to fully trust the two, 2016 negative results (can H Pylori 'hide'?); and whether you would agree with my GP's view as to why I no longer appear to have H Pylori.

jhong721
Genuine user

Re: Confusion re differing results of H Pylori tests

Post by jhong721 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:06 pm

Do you still have symptoms?

If you're negative you're negative.. CELEBRATE!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Confusion re differing results of H Pylori tests

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:33 am

Agree. Blood test is quite sensitive. rarely a false negative. usually a false positive. I think you are very lucky that your previous antibiotic treatment on something else happened to eradicate H.pylori.

:)

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”