Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

Instructions for h pylori stool test, Tums? Zantac?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

cricket92
Genuine user

Instructions for h pylori stool test, Tums? Zantac?

Post by cricket92 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:45 am

I have to take the stool test and stopped my PPI Dexilant yesterday. I had acid come up a few minutes ago and don't know how I will make it for 14 days. A few questions, please. Online, it says to stop PPI and Pepto Bismol and antibiotics 14 days beforehand. However, my doctor said 4 days is sufficient. He said I can take Tums but not Zantac, yet I read that Zantac is OK. I want the test to be accurate so would like to know who is right. Every website says something different, even the lab websites disagree. If anyone knows for sure, please advise on these 2 issues. Thanks in advance.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Instructions for h pylori stool test, Tums? Zantac?

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:32 am

stool or breath test, both rely on the volume of the bacteria. So, any medication that will reduce the bacteria load can lead to false negative result. PPI, bismuth, Sucralfate and antibiotics can reduce H. pylori load. Although the manufacturer of stool tests claim that their test is sensitive enough to detect low bacteria load and not affected by PPI, there are still some scientific articles out there disagreeing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10483995

Nevertheless, Zantac (ranitidine) does not affect the stool test. In fact, according to our guideline, you can continue Zantac until the day before the test.

http://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf

cricket92
Genuine user

Post by cricket92 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:21 am

Thanks so much. The second link only mentions the breath test. The first one appears reliable, I had seen that too but some sites say no Zantac. Can you tell me about Tums? I would like to be super safe...if the acid gets bad, I may take Zantac but Tums seems a little safer. I read that it's OK on some sites, but again, some said no. I am hoping that you or others who have been through the stool test can tell me what their doctors said. I did have the blood test today and am awaiting the result but he wants me to make sure with a stool test. I also found this which concurs with what you said, under section 5.1.5 referring to people who can't tolerate the withdrawal from PPIs:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4864555/

I also want your opinion on him saying I can stop the PPI for 4 days. I never read that, only 14. I plan to wait more than 4 days, if I can hold out for 2 weeks with Tums or Zantac, I'll wait.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:41 am

Tums is antacid. so it'll be like Zantac. You can continue taking it until the day before the breath or stool test.

The guideline is for breath test, but it works for stool test too.

PPI is different from Zactac and antacid. PPI is slow acting, but has deeper inhibition of acid production. Zactac and antacid are fast acting, with less control on acid secretion. So, PPI will have to stop for at least 7 days, 14 days for sure.

Elle8686
Genuine user

Post by Elle8686 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:15 pm

These guidelines are so frustrating. The clinic that does the breath test says no PPI for four days prior. It says sucralfate is allowed. My dr gave me sucralfate, the liquid form to take before meals, and said it's okay before the test. I'm having constant non stop heartburn. I was taking dexilant for a week (I stopped for a year or so) but that wasn't even working. I stopped taking it today. Could I go for the breath test in a week? Should I stop the sucralfate? What can I take for constant non stop heartburn. I've tried gavascon but that doesn't really help either

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:48 am

Here is our guideline. Many doctors dont know the principle of breath test and so they give wrong information.

you need to stop sucralfate for at least 14 days prior breath test. Meanwhile, you can take H2 blocker, such as ranitidine, to ease your symptom. You only need to stop H2 blocker for a day prior the test.

http://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf

artmuz36
Genuine user

Post by artmuz36 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:07 pm

I think you need to follow the doctor's prescription! It can be a problem if disobey (
MyCVSHR

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”