Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

Please reply to this ASAP!

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

SilverHawk
Genuine user

Please reply to this ASAP!

Post by SilverHawk » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:26 am

I was treated for H pylori in June and completed the treatment. For several months, my stomach had been feeling better than it had in years... until yesterday and today.

The nausea has come back, which I had during my attacks before I had been treated. I feel a little refluxy and have some lower abdominal cramping and gurgling in my lower abdomen too. Just went to my doctor today and I'm going to do the stool test since I was not retested after being treated (I kept putting it off because I'm terrified of learning that the treatment didn't work...)

My doctor didn't seem too concerned, but did order the test anyway. I asked her a few questions about the treatment I went through back in June (the standard 2 week triple therapy) and asked about the success rate. She's told me not to worry because we don't have the test results yet and that she's rarely had people come back with complaints about symptoms after completing the course of treatment.

But I'm terrified that it didn't work... but it doesn't make any sense because for once in years my stomach was feeling awesome all summer. No problems at all and I've been able to eat more and such. I don't understand why this is happening and I've had a couple nervous breakdowns out of sheer anxiety about if the test results don't come back as negative.

I could really use some reassurance. I don't ever want to go through that treatment again. It was torture for me, since even while taking promethazine during the course, I was still nauseous... and I have a severe phobia of vomiting. You can imagine what that experience was like for me. :cry:

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Please reply to this ASAP!

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:01 am

if your doctor is confident, that means she knows the treatment has high success rate. I wouldnt be too worried too. if it is positive, all you need is just another treatment (with different antibiotics). All you need to know, it's not cancer and there is a cure. It's only a matter of time, you'll be fine.

Also, try to stay positive. The more you think about it, the more likely you'll develop symptoms. Try distract yourself with work or things you enjoy doing.

Can try probiotics or mint tea to treat your symptoms.

SilverHawk
Genuine user

Post by SilverHawk » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:57 am

Helico_expert wrote:if your doctor is confident, that means she knows the treatment has high success rate. I wouldnt be too worried too. if it is positive, all you need is just another treatment (with different antibiotics). All you need to know, it's not cancer and there is a cure. It's only a matter of time, you'll be fine.

Also, try to stay positive. The more you think about it, the more likely you'll develop symptoms. Try distract yourself with work or things you enjoy doing.

Can try probiotics or mint tea to treat your symptoms.
Have you come across people who have felt much better for a period of time after treatment and then had a relapse of similar symptoms?

I also told her that only twice did I not take a nightly dose of the Flagyl, but did take the Clarithromycin without fail. When I asked if that would have put me at risk of the treatment not succeeding, she said it wasn't likely, since I wasn't doing this for days throughout the treatment (it was only one night cuz period cramps made me more nauseous and one night when I took my final dose... otherwise, I took Flagyl bidaily as instructed with the Clarithromycin and Prevacid)

Just collected a sample for the stool test. Will be sending it in to the lab tomorrow...

I guess because I've seen people talk about their treatments failing on here, I've been so worried. I don't know what the up-to-date success rate is for the standard first line triple therapy... While my doctor was quick to reassure me, she still wanted me to get tested just in case. I'm not feeling any better today, but I'm able to eat a little bit. My stomach mostly feels queasy and heavy but I have no idea if reflux can cause that feeling, or if it can cause mild stomach pain and cramps...

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:53 am

we should wait for the stool test result.

you need to know that most of the people who has problem in their treatment seek solution here. There are many many more who has no problem in treatment, therefore dont bother finding solution in google. So, there is a significant bias of posts towards difficulty, complications, and failure cases.

SilverHawk
Genuine user

Post by SilverHawk » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:15 am

Helico_expert wrote:we should wait for the stool test result.

you need to know that most of the people who has problem in their treatment seek solution here. There are many many more who has no problem in treatment, therefore dont bother finding solution in google. So, there is a significant bias of posts towards difficulty, complications, and failure cases.
Okay...

New symptom just happened tonight: regurgitation. I've had this happen about a week after I was done with the course of antibiotics. Basically if I spit or cough, I see particles of food come out if I spit into a tissue or the sink. This will happen hours after eating and even after fully brushing my teeth/rinsing/etc. Stomach pain's gotten a little worse too. I don't know if folks who have reflux have abdominal pain. It's hard to describe; like someone poking me from the inside with a thumbtack, radiates to middle abdomen and chest. I haven't had a history of reflux before I was diagnosed with the bacteria, though.

The regurgitation doesn't hurt, it's just a little gross.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:03 am

yea... discuss with your doctor about taking some PPI or ranitidine to control the acid. Protect your throat.

also, maybe your food is not going through your stomach smoothly. Perhaps the food stays in your stomach too long and ferment. The gas try to escape which causes the reflux.

Ask your doctor to give you something to help the digestion.

SilverHawk
Genuine user

Post by SilverHawk » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:10 am

Helico_expert wrote:yea... discuss with your doctor about taking some PPI or ranitidine to control the acid. Protect your throat.

also, maybe your food is not going through your stomach smoothly. Perhaps the food stays in your stomach too long and ferment. The gas try to escape which causes the reflux.

Ask your doctor to give you something to help the digestion.
Turned in stool sample today... praying it comes back negative.

She did prescribe Prilosec so I made sure to pick some up after dropping off the sample to the lab. Started my first dose today.

I don't feel nauseous today, but definitely an uncomfortable fullness when I eat. I was having pain last night but I'm not having as much today despite eating.

I messaged my doctor about the symptoms last night and this was her response I got in the morning:

"Your symptoms could very well be just simple acid reflux, but I still think we should rule out re-infection with h pylori, so I would encourage you to still drop off your stool sample. You can start the prilosec today and hopefully you're feeling better soon."

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:35 pm

I agree with your doctor. wish you all the best
:)

shid0x
Genuine user

Post by shid0x » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:11 pm

Have you come across people who have felt much better for a period of time after treatment and then had a relapse of similar symptoms?
I had.
The exact same.

Felt awesome and then one day burning,pain ect...
It went away slowly.

I think relapse can happen especially if you went a little overboard these last few days, its not because we're feeling better that we're 100%. We're feeling better just because the inflamation calmed down.

SilverHawk
Genuine user

Post by SilverHawk » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:17 am

shid0x wrote:
I had.
The exact same.

Felt awesome and then one day burning,pain ect...
It went away slowly.

I think relapse can happen especially if you went a little overboard these last few days, its not because we're feeling better that we're 100%. We're feeling better just because the inflamation calmed down.
The nausea's still been hanging around a bit and sometimes I feel the urge to gag, but mostly I've been feeling a lot of discomfort in my chest where my esophagus is as if things are backing up, along with and its especially worse after lying down. I feel like my symptoms just scream 'reflux' but can reflux really cause nausea and gagging? I'm just terrified of getting a phone call this week and hearing that the treatment didn't work after they tested my stool...

I'm on my third dose of Prilosec and I'm not sure when I should be feeling a difference...

When I had my h pylori attacks before I got treated, I never had that issue with my chest so much, it was just mostly nausea. And it would only last a couple days to a week as if I was sick with a stomach bug. This had gone on for years until I finally got tested in June.

I know that lately I've been stress/boredom-eating before I started having symptoms... not making the healthiest choices and eating a more than usual (though I figured that was because my stomach hadn't felt so good in ages) But despite what I ate, nothing bothered me...

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues”