Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

What will happen to me?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Dushtek

What will happen to me?

Post by Dushtek »

I hope someone with similar history can help me.

After two years of tummy pains, my gp sent me to a gastroenterologist. He performed a gastroscopy in May, which showed I had HP. I took the triple therapy, but pains stayed and worsened.

Now, 7 painful months later, my gp is once again sending me to have another gastroscopy. But what to expect?
1.The HP is still there? If so, is it because my HP is resistent to antibiotics?
2. There is no HP, but only gastritis, and I must be patient?
3. I have cancer?!

I am so worried, what do you think will be the most probable outcome?

PS: I have urged both my gp and the gastroenterologist to have an breath-test, but they refuse for some reason.

Helico_scientist

Re: What will happen to me?

Post by Helico_scientist »

The most probable outcome is that your HP is resistant to antibiotics and is still there. In that case, you will have to take another set of antibiotics. Ask them to send the biopsy for culture and sensitivity testing so you know which antibiotics to take.

2nd possibility, HP is eradicated (a simple breath test could already tell you this, you should always do one after treatment, another gp might be able to get you one done) but you still have some gastritis. Well you will have to be patient then. It does take some time for the stomach to recover.

3rd option; cancer? VERY unlikely. Not even worth worrying about it.

Good luck and keep us posted

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

agree with Helico_scientist. But I think you first need to get a breath test done to see if you still have H. pylori. Then we can start from there.

Dushtek

Post by Dushtek »

Thank you for both your answers!
I have urged both my gp and the gastroenterolist about the breath test, but they refused. I than went to another gp, but she would'nt do it either, saying its not "the golden standard", God only knows what that means. She only did a blood test, that only showed antibodies against hp. That means nothing!

I finally contacted a medical firm in Australia and asked if I could buy a breath-test from them. They recommended me to follow my gp's instructions....

My new gastroscopy is one week away, I will keep you updated.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I wonder what is the gold standard your doctor refers to. Anyway, here is a link to the general guideline for H. pylori treatment.

http://www.helicobacter.org/download/su ... iefing.pdf
With regard to patient follow-up after H. pylori eradication, UBT remains the preferred test. If unavailable, a laboratory-based stool test – preferably using monoclonal antibodies – could be used. The timing of this follow-up should be at least four weeks after the end of the eradication treatment
Then again, since you are going for the endoscopy test, perhaps UBT can be skipped. A CLOtest and/or histology will be good enough for the confirmation.

erichild

Post by erichild »

Hang in there.I had HP 2 years ago. I never got retested. I started to have heartburn and gastritis again 2 months ago. It's not as bad as when I had HP diagnosed, but still very bothersome. I went to a doctor yesterday and she referred me out to get an endoscopy, which I am not happy about at all. I have had the same internal freak-out about cancer too. I live in Chicago and no one seems to have to want to do a breath test. So I know how you feel.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I can understand in the United State, where H. pylori prevalence and antibiotic resistance is low, there is little doubt that there will be "re-occurrence" of H. pylori infection. The system works for the majority. Nevertheless, I would like to stress that "re-infection" is low, especially in the developed country where H. pylori prevalence is low. Most of the time is due to antibiotic resistance which leads to treatment failure. Because the doctors refuse to confirm the first treatment, patients will never know if it was reinfection or treatment failure. There is a clinical significance in these two cases. For reinfection, you are likely to be treated with the same drug. As for antibiotic resistance, you'll need a different set of antibiotics.

Dushtek

Post by Dushtek »

Thanks for your replies, it's comforting to know I'm not alone!

When is your endoscopy? I hope you'll share the findings.
I'll stop freaking out over the whole cancer thing. It's just that I have young kids and my work here is'nt done yet!

I honestly have no idea why Norwegian doctors refuse the breath test. They just say no, without any good explaination... :geek:

erichild

Post by erichild »

I have a consultation on 11-17-14 and I will ask questions regarding a breath test. At the moment, my heartburn is better; not gone, but better. Of course, it can flare up. It will keep you posted.

Dushtek

Post by Dushtek »

Here is an update:

I had my second gastroscopy two weeks ago, and the results are now in. The sores are gone. There's however a lot of chronic gastritis. The gastroenterologist said that this may last for years..

The helicobacter is still there, but he doesn't think it's giving me the symptoms. Since it wasn't eradicated the first time, he doesn't want to try again. We'll just leave it there, he said.

Also he told me to stop taking any more ppi's.

He also told me to lead a normal life without too much stress...

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”