Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Amoxcillin and Tetracycline cant be combined

The cure of Hp usually requires antibiotics. Other things have been tried and have a weaker effect.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni, luci2010, Ondek-Expert, kkimura

Ltb

Amoxcillin and Tetracycline cant be combined

Post by Ltb »

Hi
Ive just been given quadruple therapy with Amoxcillin, Tetracycline, Bismuth and Lanzoprazole. Im hoping that after 2 failed treatments I will finally rid myself of this awful bug. However Ive been reading about the ineffective combination of Amox and Tetra:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11966868

I hope this is not true as I took along your in house treatment plan and the doctor prescribed this after seeing it recommended on your plan. Could an expert comment on this and whether this is true?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Amoxcillin and Tetracycline cant be combined

Post by Helico_expert »

It is a combination in desperate situation. It has a low cure rate and we would only prescribe this when there is no other alternatives. your doctor should try the PARC or PBRC regimen, which is our first line treatment.

The reason this is not the best combination is because amoxicillin inhibit cell wall synthesis and the active growing bacteria will grow without a cell wall. Hence lead to death.

Tetracycline on the other hand is a protein synthesis inhibitor. Bacteria cannot produce the building block for cell division and eventually get killed by host immune system or the acidic environment.

When you mix them together, the cell is not growing and hence cannot be killed by amoxicillin.

The above is a theory anyway. there has been mix data published by other groups. a more recent article suggests that amoxicillin and tetracycline combination still produce high cure rate.

http://www.wjgnet.com/esps/ArticleInPre ... x?id=12044

Ltb

Post by Ltb »

hi thanks for clearing this up. I had no idea that your recommended chart worked this way. I took it to the doctor and I thought they were all equally efficient combinations to get rid of h pylori. I wish I had gone with the Cipro/Rifabutin combination now rather than Tetracyline and Amox and Bismuth.

I am currently on day 5 of 14, and see no improvements in my indigestion. Do you think I should
a) finish the course and see what happens or
b) contact my doctor to switch to the first line therapy ?

Out of interest what are the cure rates like for Tetracycline/Amoxcilin/Bismuth? If it is low are we talking 30%? 50% or 70%?

I guess I just don't want to be pointlessly taking antibiotics if there is such low chance of success especially if I have to take another load of them in a few months.

Thanks so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it....and sorry I keep messaging on here. Its just been such a long road and a horrible 2 years Im now desperate to get rid of this!

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Our clinical data showed about 50% cure rate.

however, some other studies showed a much lower cure rate of around 20-30%
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11966868
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16928222

but since you already started, please continue and finish the treatment. Stopping it half way only increase the chance of resistance.

Ltb

Post by Ltb »

hello
thanks for this. I will finish the course and get re tested. how long should I leave it before I do another quadruple therapy though if im positive? is it bad to do the cipro/bismuth/amox/rifabutin so soon after this treatment?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

normally we ask patients to wait 4 weeks before the second test.

however, if you really need some acid reducing drug to help you through, you can follow this guideline.
http://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf

Return to “Treatment for Helicobacter 幽门螺杆菌治疗”