Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

h. pylori exterminated, but atrophic gastritis remains

The cure of Hp usually requires antibiotics. Other things have been tried and have a weaker effect.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar, luci2010

mirjanna
Genuine user

Re: h. pylori exterminated, but atrophic gastritis remains

Post by mirjanna » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi,

As a veteran HB carrier, with still unresolved HP and AG (and IM), I was just wondering how you are doing now? And, just to clarify one more time - it is actually possible to revert atrophic gastritis once you resolve the bacteria?

All best,
M.

malcolm wrote:I just want to update this old thread to give hope to anyone undergoing treatment for h. pylori and AG:

After I posted about my eradication treatment and atrophic gastritis 2 1/2 years ago, I developed horrible acid reflux in the fall of 2011 (a few months after the treatment). Sometimes I would wake up nauseous in the middle of the night, and one time I tore my esophagus from vomiting so hard. A gastroscopy revealed some acid damage to the bottom of the esophagus and dark spots of AG were visible in my stomach.

I started on some medicine for the acid reflux, including a PPI, and they fixed the problem. 6 months later I stopped taking the PPI (I had stopped the other medicine earlier) and was fine after initially experiencing some return of the symptoms for a week. A little more than a year after the h. pylori antibiotic treatment, I had another gastroscopy and this time the black spots were no longer seen and I was told that my AG was almost completely gone (a 1 on a scale of 1 to 6). According to the doctor my risk for stomach cancer is no higher than if I had not had the infection.

It's been a couple of years and my stomach feels great, the best it's felt in years. I eat anything I want, and I love spicy food. I just want to say thank you to Dr. Marshall for his research and everyone here for their advice, and also I would encourage anyone who is infected to get it treated right away and to know that even though you may be experiencing horrible gastritis or acid reflux, with treatment there's a good chance that it will only be temporary.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: h. pylori exterminated, but atrophic gastritis remains

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:12 am

yea... it's totally possible to revert back to normal after eradicating H. pylori. How many times have you been treated? when and what is your last treatment?

Return to “Treatment for Helicobacter”