Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Broccoli Sprouts etc.

Weird questions go here! If your question doesn't quite fit the other categories, use this section.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni, stomach

wildginger

Broccoli Sprouts etc.

Post by wildginger »

I was diagnosed with anemia in 2009 and had no pain. I read a summary of an article "Dietary Sulforaphane-Rich Broccoli Sprouts Reduce Colonization and Attenuate Gastritis in Helicobacter pylori-infected Mice and Humans" by Akinori Yananka etc., Tokyo University of Science in Cancer Prevention Research April 2009. I ate 31 (4 ounce/113.5g) containers of broccoli sprouts in the one month before my first EGD and another 49 containers during the next 6 months. My gastroenterologist removed 17 polyps and biospied the polyps 3 times (12/30/09, 5/25/10 and 11/1/12), but did not find H pylori. The 3/20/14 EGD found 1 polyp and my stomach was no longer inflamed through grapefruit seed extract, probiotics, prebiotics etc., prescribed by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein, my endocrinologist. The 3/20/14 biopsy found a rare H pylori and I have had a skin rash this last year. Questions: Did I suppress the H pylori for a while through the use of broccoli sprouts? Do I now have a Super H pylori resistant to standard antibiotic therapies? Was my H pylori so rare that it was not identified until now? Is H pylori chronic and needs to be managed continuously through other therapies? Expert, please answer at your convenience.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Broccoli Sprouts etc.

Post by Helico_expert »

You probably did suppress your previous H. pylori infection by eating so much broccoli sprouts. Must remember, Broccoli has never been shown to be successful in eradicating H. pylori. Antibiotic remain the most effective method in killing off H. pylori.

In terms of broccoli create a super H. pylori.. nope. not going to be.

in terms of "rare" H. pylori, you have to tell me more why is it rare? occasionally we did see other species of Helicobacter in human, eg. H. heilmannii, H. canis, H. felis. But they infect human from domestic animals like cats, dogs, and farm animals.

If H. pylori has been proven eradicated (via breath test or stool test), then there is no further management needed.

wildginger

Post by wildginger »

Dear Expert,
Thank you for sharing your time and knowledge. I do have confidence in my doctors, but it has been almost 5 years and I believe more knowledge is always better than less.
Broccoli Sprouts: I always viewed them a supplementary therapy not a cure. In fact, I have a hard time believing they suppressed h pylori for 3 years.

H pylori Cause: I was my Mom's primary caregiver for 15 years. She had dementia and passed away in July 2009 at 96. I consider this the cause and always thought I had h pylori. If not, how do we explain the polyps? I do not have any pets and do not live on a farm. I had a cat when I was young and still swim in the lake.

Rare H pylori: I have a copy of the report: antrum polyp biopsy---hyperplastic gastric polyp with acute inflammation and reactive epithelial changes---rare helicobacter pylori organisms present---neither intestinal metaplasia nor dysplasia seen. I have my appointment with Dr. Diana Schwarzbein, my endocrinologist on 4/29/14 and have sent her this information.

Questions:
Does my cause for h pylori seem probable to you?
Is there any benefit in finding out the name of the H pylori?
Any thoughts on the report?
Please answer at your convenience.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

intestinal metaplasia nor dysplasia seen
I think this is good news.

You can always do a breath test to find out if you are infected with H. pylori. However, histology is always very sensitive as it is examined by expert. I think your doctor should rely on this information and prescribe you the triple therapy.

on the other hand, H. pylori infection is very stubborn. One can remain infected for decades without symptoms. It is very likely that you were infected when you are young.

wildginger

Post by wildginger »

Dear Expert,
I believe, I understand. I guess that I have cat pylori (H. felis) from when I was young. I also now remember that there was a neighbor who lived across the street and she fed all the stray cats.

H pylori thrives when our immune system is worn out. The same antibiotics are used for human and animal h pylori. Rare Helicobacter pylori may mean "few" or "mild". I like the Updated Sydney System.

My gastroenterologist recommended biaxin and flagyl, the same as helico.com. He knows I do not have any pain or discomfort. I am hoping my healed stomach will make it easier to eradicate the h pylori.

Last question: h pylori and high cholesterol levels
I had 7 VAP cholesterol tests from 2011 through 2012 that are all around 200 (total cholesterol). My recent cholesterol tests 1/14 and 4/14 have jumped to 240 and 243. I found two medical journal articles one from Korea 4/21/11 and one from Turkey 1/8/14---they found higher LDL levels in h pylori infected patients. Possible?

Thank you for sharing your time and knowledge. This is a wonderful website. Please answer at your convenience. I am almost ready for my 4/29/14 Doctor appointment. Thank you again.

Return to “Everything Else 其他”