Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

Can H Pylori survive in refrigerated food?

How do you catch Hp? From your mother when she kisses you? From brothers and sisters as a small child? From sexual partners as adults (kissing)? From dirty water (fecal contamination)? From animals? Who knows???

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

sfgreen
Genuine user

Can H Pylori survive in refrigerated food?

Post by sfgreen » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:44 am

Hello Helico Doctor,

I have narrowed my H Pylori infection source down to two meals in a 48 hour period prior to feeling stomach symptoms. One of them was soup and fishcake cooked by a friend, but I left it in the refrigerator for a little over 72 hours before eating it. When I microwaved it (in hindsight probably not hot enough), I felt stomach discomfort within 3-1/2 hours and started vomiting eight hours after ingestion. After a few weeks of very uncomfortable bloating/distension after certain meals, usually with sugar, I was tested positive with H Pylori.

Assuming the cause of all my problems is H Pylori ingestion, and my GI doctor thinks that is highly likely, do you know if in food/soup but in frigid temperatures like a refrigerator for three days will permit H Pylori to survive? If the answer is no, then I can rule out that meal. If the answer is yes or not certain, then I still have two possible sources.

Thanks!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Can H Pylori survive in refrigerated food?

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:34 am

Hi,

your question was answered in other post.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=204853&p=212568#p212568

Return to “Epidemiology and Transmission ( How do you catch it?)”