Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

Have I infected my boyfriend? Circle of re-infection poss?

How do you catch Hp? From your mother when she kisses you? From brothers and sisters as a small child? From sexual partners as adults (kissing)? From dirty water (fecal contamination)? From animals? Who knows???

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

jenny5
Genuine user

Have I infected my boyfriend? Circle of re-infection poss?

Post by jenny5 » Sat May 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi all, I was given a positive diagnosis of h pylori on Monday of this week after a blood test. I was oddly relieved as I believe it could explain my years of IBS/heartburn/stomach problems and recent fatigue. I started a week long course of triple therapy:

Amoxicillin 1g
Clarithromycin 500mg
Omeprazole 50mg

All twice a day, started on Tuesday which I've been supplementing with pro-biotics, eating very well (lots of broccoli!) and herbal teas in the hopes of boosting my eradication chances.

Now my boyfriend is, and has admitted to been having some of the same symptoms in recent months that I've had on and off for years - heartburn, a weird feeling of hollowness in the stomach, indigestion and fatigue. We've been going out just over a year, in fact yesterday was our anniversary... so I guess I'm wondering, have I inadvertently given him an anniversary present of some gram negative stomach bacteria?

If it's possible - could he re-infect me if my triple therapy works? I'm concerned at the potential of a vicious circle here of us re-infecting each other.

He's got a phone appointment with his doctor on Tuesday of next week, so if they do test him he wouldn't start treatment for at least two weeks - long after my triple therapy had finished. Could I re-catch it from him if he has it, or will I be "immune" for some time? Was almost buying him mastic gum in Holland and Barratt the other day but at £20 a bottle with no certainties and our low-money status, I couldn't just yet. Should I?

What should we do? Could the vicious re-infection circle happen? Any help at all, especially from medical professionals/folk with their own experiences of this is very much appreciated.

Jennifer

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Have I infected my boyfriend? Circle of re-infection pos

Post by Helico_expert » Sun May 26, 2013 7:31 am

It's not easy for adult to catch H. pylori. However, I believe it is possible for close couples or family members living under the same roof, sharing food, to reinfect each other.

Chances of catching H. pylori via kissing will be very low. Although oral route is the only possible way of H. pylori transmission, it's difficult for H. pylori to survive in the mouth.

Nevertheless, hygiene is the best way to prevent reinfection. avoid sharing food and drinks.

owenscfbws
Genuine user

Post by owenscfbws » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:49 pm

jenny5 wrote:Hi all, I was given a positive diagnosis of h pylori on Monday of this week after a blood test. I was oddly relieved as I believe it could explain my years of IBS/heartburn/stomach problems and recent fatigue. I started a week long course of triple therapy:

Amoxicillin 1g
Clarithromycin 500mg
Omeprazole 50mg

All twice a day, started on Tuesday which I've been supplementing with pro-biotics, eating very well (lots of broccoli!) and herbal teas in the hopes of boosting my eradication chances.

Now my boyfriend is, and has admitted to been having some of the same symptoms in recent months that I've had on and off for years - heartburn, a weird feeling of hollowness in the stomach, indigestion and fatigue. We've been going out just over a year, in fact yesterday was our anniversary... so I guess I'm wondering, have I inadvertently given him an anniversary present of some gram negative stomach bacteria?

If it's possible - could he re-infect me if my triple therapy works? I'm concerned at the potential of a vicious circle here of us re-infecting each other.

He's got a phone dbuying.com appointment with his doctor on Tuesday of next week, so if they do test him he wouldn't start treatment for at least two weeks - long after my triple therapy had finished. Could I re-catch it from him if he has it, or will I be "immune" for some time? Was almost buying him mastic gum in Holland and Barratt the other day but at £20 a bottle with no certainties and our low-money status, I couldn't just yet. Should I?

What should we do? Could the vicious re-infection circle happen? Any help at all, especially from medical professionals/folk with their own experiences of this is very much appreciated.

Jennifer
I meet the same problem with you :(

asalspammer
Genuine user

Post by asalspammer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:44 am

He's got a phone appointment with his doctor on Tuesday of next week, so if they do test him he wouldn't start treatment for at least two weeks - long after my triple therapy had finished. Could I re-catch it from him if he has it, or will I be "immune" for some time? Was almost buying him mastic gum in Holland and Barratt the other day but at £20 a bottle with no certainties and our low-money status, I couldn't just yet. Should I?

We are the leading the world in Pass4sure - network+ study guide pdf best certkiller gre and mines.edu prep solutions.
Last edited by asalspammer on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:42 am

The key is oral hygiene. If you both can maintained your basic oral hygiene, eg. brushing teeth every morning, I think that will greatly reduced the chance of reinfected among yourself.

if you read through the forum, you'll find most people comment that mastic gum not very useful.

is your boyfriend symptomatic? eg. reflux? if he has reflux, the chance of oral transmission increases. Nevertheless, there is no need to be too paranoid.

Return to “Epidemiology and Transmission ( How do you catch it?)”