Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

My son's experience

How do you catch Hp? From your mother when she kisses you? From brothers and sisters as a small child? From sexual partners as adults (kissing)? From dirty water (fecal contamination)? From animals? Who knows???

Moderators: barjammar, Toni, stomach

Worriedmom

My son's experience

Post by Worriedmom »

Hi all,
I want to share my story. I am a dentist in the California, USA. My son first started complaining of pain in the tummy suddenly one night when he was 4 and a half years old. He woke up from sleep in the middle of the night saying his tummy hurt and then he vomited. I thought he had caught a stomach flu since we had been out with friends a few nights ago, but tummy aches all the time, vomiting every night (only at mid night) and gagging all day especially in the morning didn't go away. After 2 months, I asked the pediatrician to have stool and blood tests done. Stool was negative for ova and parasites and Negative for H pylori. Blood test was below the range considered positive for H pylori, but it was not zero. After this, I met with a pediatric gastroenterologist who said I should just wait a few more months because it was probably gas or constipation, but if I wanted her to, she could do an endoscope under general anesthesia. Following her recommendation I started him on Pepcid, which he took for a month. Pepcid made him stop vomiting every night, but he still had tummy aches all day and a couple times every night he would wake up with tummy aches. I read as much as I could about H pylori, and did not want my son to have general anesthesia, so I decided on my own to give him metronidazole, amoxicillin, Prevacid for 2 weeks. During treatment he still complained of tummy aches and nausea and gagged a lot, but the day after I stopped giving all the meds, he stopped saying anything of pain, never gagged or vomited for 2 years.
Then suddenly one night he vomited and said he had a tummy ache, just like 2 years before. This lasted two weeks before I realized that we had spent time with the same people before he started having symptoms as when he had gotten sick 2 years ago. I gave him the same meds and he got better just like last time. I began to fear meeting them again, but they came over a month after he had recovered from this episode, and two days after we met them, I got a call from school saying my son had a tummy ache and a 99.5 degree fever. I was very upset and didn't want to give him metronidazole again so soon, so started giving him Mastic Gum, Monolaurin, raw honey, and probiotics. These seemed to help and vomiting stopped, gagging was a lot less, but tummy aches all the time were there, but less in intensity. After 4 months, I decided to give him the metronidazole, amoxicillin, Prevacid for 2 weeks and he got better again, gained weight, and appetite. He has been well and off all meds for one year.
After he had gotten sick for the third time, I spoke to the family I suspect passes stomach infection on to my son. The oldest is 94 and she has a history of hospitalization for bleeding stomach. Since she became bed ridden and began wearing diapers 2 years ago, her caregivers say her stool has always been black and unformed. Her daughter, granddaughter, and great grand daughter live with her and complain of indigestion and take proton pump inhibitors and antacids. No doctor has ever wanted to test them for H pylori, so I suggested they stop taking all meds and get tested. They did and all their tests are negative: stool and breath. Recently, the 94 year old was again hospitalized for stomach bleed and given protonix in the hospital. The bleeding has stopped, but the doctor who did the Endoscope was unable to find a source for the bleed. After already starting her on protonix in the hospital, the doctor took a biopsy and announced it is negative for H pylori. Still no doctor has recommended antibiotics for anyone in this family.
I am interested in learning if there are any tests for other bacterias in the stomach. I also want to tell everyone that I spoke to 5 gastroenterologists about what my son went through and all of them say they would have recommended Pepcid for an unlimited time and do not believe bacteria caused any symptoms and that he just had gas or constipation. When I ask why he had no symptoms for the first 4 years of his life and then two years after antibiotics they say the same thing. One GI doctor who has a degree from Stanford said there is no such thing as h pylori. One GI doctor said it was food allergies and lactose intolerance. I say, he has no problem at all as long as there is no bug living in his stomach.
Thank you for reading,
Sarosh

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: My son's experience

Post by Helico_expert »

Thanks for sharing your story. The only known bacteria that is associated with stomach disease is H. pylori. There are ways to find out what other organism is living in the stomach. But they are expensive and complicated. The results will be very hard to interpret. especially when it is an unknown organism. Sometimes, a wrong normal flora in the intestine causes IBS and antibiotics sort of reset the flora.

sara736

Re: My son's experience

Post by sara736 »

I think what your doctor meant was scarring (via very bad ulcer). Since you are still very young, there should be no problem in your recovery. Unless you have inherited some stomach genetic disease from your parents.

Return to “Epidemiology and Transmission ( How do you catch it?) 幽门螺杆菌的传播”