Can PPIs suppress H Pylori symptoms?

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

Antihelico
Genuine user

Can PPIs suppress H Pylori symptoms?

Post by Antihelico » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:24 am

I have tested positive for H Pylori, after having experienced bloating and dyspepsia, as well as some dizziness and lightheadedness and occasional hot flushes while eating. Normally, the condition was worse in the morning than in the evening and worse before meals rather than after. A hiatus hernia was also found during the gastroscopy. I was prescribed quadruple therapy and completed the course on 19th March. I felt worse than before during the treatment (the previous symptoms plus some heartburn and loss of appetite) and but I was feeling largely symptom-free during most of the last two weeks of the treatment (during which I was taking a PPI only). On completing the PPI course, symptoms started returning, to levels experienced while I was taking the antibiotics, which is worse than the original pre-treatment symptoms. I have since then been prescribed PPIs again and symptoms are again somewhat relieved (although there are unpleasant side-effects).

Does this sound like a normal HP story? Could I be experiencing an acid rebound to the PPIs taken during quadruple therapy or are the PPIs actually suppressing the symptoms of H Pylori itself? I still do not know if the treatment has been successful, and I'm told that I cannot do the test reliably while on PPIs.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Can PPIs suppress H Pylori symptoms?

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:38 pm

Yea, some patients do experience gastric reflux symptoms after treatment. I think it is important that you do a follow up breath test to confirm the eradication.

You are right about PPI interaction on breath test. So, you'll need to talk to your doctor about switching your current PPI to ranitidine or any H2 blocker for at least 2 weeks and then, you can do the breath test. you only need to stop ranitidine for 8 hours prior breath test.

Antihelico
Genuine user

Post by Antihelico » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 am

Many thanks for your reply! In cases where gastric reflux emerges after treatment, does this tend to be a long-term problem or does it usually subside after a while?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:49 am

again, there is no easy answer. Some people recover within weeks and some unfortunate ones recover after a few months or years. The thing is, H. pylori has been in the stomach for decades, making all this damages. The stomach take times to recover and trying to adapt to a new environment where there is no H. pylori.

Jessicat
Genuine user

Post by Jessicat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Is there anyone running this site? I posted an introduction weeks ago with a question. No response or approval or denial.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:29 am

I am monitoring this website. but unfortunately I was travelling last week in China and the internet is very limited.

Bpositive
Genuine user

Post by Bpositive » Mon May 08, 2017 11:18 am

Hello Antihelico, I too am suffering with h Pylori and a hiatal hernia. I'm 4 days away from finishing my trio antibiotics for the h Pylori and I notice my acid reflux getting worse. I'm on a PPI Tecta but don't notice very much relief from it. The tip and sides of my tongue still hurt on and off, throat is soar on and off and my soft palate still has tiny painful bumps from acid reflux. I'm starting to wonder if the haitel hernia is causing the acid reflux?
I'm hoping I get some relief after clearing the h Pylori?
Also wanted to ask you how long were you on the antibiotics for HP?
Hope things get better soon

romano
Genuine user

Post by romano » Mon May 08, 2017 2:03 pm

hello be positive
what antibiotic have you ? and how many time ?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Tue May 09, 2017 12:25 am

agree. the key is to stay positive. There is always a way to solve this H. pylori issue. Just have to be patience.

Sometimes, you get more reflux is because the stomach is trying to adjust to an environment that is free of H. pylori. Normally people is already infected H. pylori when they are young. So for decades, the stomach is in a condition where there are lots of H. pylori causing damage. Suddenly it's free of H. pylori damage, the stomach needs time to get use to this new condition.

Bpositive
Genuine user

Post by Bpositive » Tue May 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Hello Romano, currently I'm on
Amoxicillin 1000 mg twice daily
Metronidazole 500 mg twice daily
Clarithomycin 500 mg twice daily
For 14 days

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms”