Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

Variety of questions about H pylori and stomach cancer

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

werne1tm
Genuine user

Variety of questions about H pylori and stomach cancer

Post by werne1tm » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:44 am

Hello All,

My father recently passed away stage 4 stomach cancer age 67 (caught too late) I am uncertain if it was h pylori induced since ive read h pylori doesnt show up on biopsy once cancer takes over. I know it did show negative on his tissue of the tumor. He never smoked, exercised, and ate fairly healthy. OK so heres the problem....we live in united states in an area with low prevelence of the bacteria. My concern is that I used to be married to a guy from Peru (high rate of H pylori there) and lived there maybe 2 years total over the last decade or so. I would stay there a few months out of the year and then stay with my parents the rest of that time in that decade. Im just worried that maybe 12 years ago i may have contracted the bacteria and given to him while living at their house. I know sometimes i woudnt get a glass and would drink of the juices in the refrigerator. So after i found out he had stomach cancer i read the main causes and the primary one is h pylori, which made me very worried. I thought maybe i was a silent asymptomic carrier and gave it to him. I recently had both a blood test and biopsy done that came back negative. I was relieved but then started reading how sometimes h pylori goes away on its own. ( in children anyway...i do not know any studies that show if adults also are capable of losing the infection...i was early 20s when i lived in Peru. Does anyone know what the sponteous clearance rate is in adults? My dad also had stomach problems since he was 20 years old and had some kind of surgery done to his intestines but no one really knew what happened since it was 1970. But since then hes always had problems with bloating, pain in abdomen, diarreha, constiption.....and im pretty sure was never tested for h pylori. He would get his annual physical from gen doctor every year and they would refill his prescription for an IBS management. so my question is this.....would it be possible for me having infected him 10-12 years ago resulting in his gastric cancer or the cancer was caused of almost 50 years of unknown stomach issues?

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: Variety of questions about H pylori and stomach cancer

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:25 pm

First of all, I am sorry for your lost.

so here is what I know about H. pylori and its transmission. H. pylori is normally transmitted when you are young. Usually from mother to children. Nobody knows how, but our believes is that mother is normally the person in charge of food and the feeding. Not sure about your culture, but in mine, my parents used to masticate food to make sure the food is in smaller pieces and there is no bone in the fish. During the 2-3 years of feeding, you only need one successful transmission and the child is infected for life. This feeding culture is practiced by many in the developing countries.

Hence, your father is more likely to be infected from his mother when he was young.

it is less likely for adults to transmit H. pylori, especially in the modern society, because people are more aware of personal hygiene and in developed countries, machines and kitchen technology has replaced the traditional mastication. In our unpublished study, the increase awareness of oral hygiene also help decrease the transmission.

In regards to antibody in blood that tells the infection history, it is difficult because everyone is slightly different. Some people has antibody in the blood for many years. Some only months.

Lastly, H. pylori is one of the three factors that causes stomach cancer. the other two factors include human genetics and diet. If your father has close relatives that have gastric cancer, it is possible that he already has the cancer gene. H. pylori just accelerated the progress.

Salt is also associated with gastric cancer.

werne1tm
Genuine user

Post by werne1tm » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:52 pm

Thanks for reading my topic and replying. Stomach cancer doesnt run in his family. He grew up in the united states in early 1950s so his mother wouldnt of chewed the food for the kids. I read that people that in the united states its uncommon for youth to get infected with h pylori such as you said...i think 40 and under is around 20%. 50 percent of people over 60 which would have been his generation have the infection. Since hes had stomach problems his whole life up until his death from cancer he probably got the infection when he was young. Or maybe he never had an infection and somehow got stomach cancer...the two risk factors he had was his age (67) and being male. Not sure if he ate a lot of salt....hedid have white breads and canned soups often which are high in salt. Since i tested negative on two tests i probably never had the infection after all. I tried getting info about spouse transmission since my ex husband was from south america and all i could find was mixed results. I wasnt with him long maybe 3 years and i think length of time effects odds of transmission at least what i read in one study. I guess i just want the reassurance that i had nothing to do with him getting cancer because its been bothering me a lot.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:18 am

yea.. thanks for the extra information. We have also seen partner being positive and never transmit to another. I think it has to do with modern hygiene awareness, such as simple teeth brushing and hand washing. We also have unpublished data, where before brushing teeth, sometimes you can detect H. pylori in the mouth, and after brushing teeth, H. pylori is undetectable. And then we tried testing at 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm and 9pm, and all came back negative. It's amazing to learn that H. pylori only present in the mouth in the morning before brushing teeth. Then again, this data is based on one subject and hence we didnt have it published.

anyway, H. pylori is a very chronic infection. It'll take many many decades to become cancerous. So dont blame yourself too much.

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms”