Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

H Pylori gone, Platelets up in ITP / Hashimoto Patient

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

LosAngeles
Genuine user

H Pylori gone, Platelets up in ITP / Hashimoto Patient

Post by LosAngeles » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:39 am

Hello,

My girlfriend was diagnosed with ITP when she was 18. (platelets average 45 LL)
Also was diagnosed with Hoshimoto's hypothyroidism (still treating with Synthroid)
At the beginning of this year, she had severe pains in her stomach and swelling in her knees and other joints.
Her platelets were low. Shortly after predisone treatment her platelets spiked but dropped back into the 36 LL range.

A few months later, the pains in her stomach persisted. The third GI she saw recommended an H Pylori test.
She tested positive and immediately began treatment with Amoxycylin, clarithromycin, and a proton pump inhibitor.

Following the 14 day treatment, she waited a couple weeks and tested negative to an h. pylori fecal test.

Now, four weeks after treatment, the severe stomach pains persist and cause chills, panic, and extreme pressure leadig up to her head. As a result, I took her to the emergency room last friday and they ruled out any issues with her gallbladder, liver, and etc.

However, her platelet count was 65 LL this past Friday......!

Higher than it had ever been since she was 18 (if you dont include prednisone treatments).

She suspected maybe the h. pylori has something to do with her ITP - Immune thrombocytopenia ... after we researched the subject this entire weekend, we noticed there are several studies that reveal h pylori may cause ITP.

Today, she was tested again and her platelets are at 57 LL. This is still 10+ LL above her average lifetime platelet count.

Physically she appears healthier than I have ever seen.

Since this seems to be a critical phase in her potential recovery and hopefully permanent remission of ITP, I'm reaching out to this forum for assistance in finding the best resources for her.

In addition, I have read studies that h. pylori may be connected to her Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. (Doctors were always puzzled by her hypothyroidism because she is not overweight).

Does anyone have any recommendations to physicians or researchers that may be interested in her case? Anyone in the Los Angeles area would be awesome. She is fully insured.

It might also be important to point out that she grew up in East Germany/Berlin when we she was diagnosed with ITP.. so she potentially would have had acquired h.pylori in that region.

Anyhow, any information would help. Again, she just discovered there was research connecting her conditions... This is quit amazing... but we want to make sure she's in good hands and are concerned her doctors never thought to check for h pylori and have no informstion about the causaul connection to ITP...

any thoughts would be truly appreciated...

If anyone is conducting clinical research on this matter and may need certain tests performed, I imagine time is critical?

I will check back in this forum as regularly as possible.

Thank you!

<feeling very optimistic>
Last edited by LosAngeles on Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: H Pylori gone, Platelets up in ITP / Hashimoto Patient

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:09 pm

thanks for sharing the story. It's good to know that a successful H. pylori eradication did improve the platelet count.

Your girlfriend is probably infected by H. pylori for a very long time. Now that she is H. pylori free, the body is trying to adapt the new environment.

have you dont any ultrasound for stones? just want to make sure the pain is not due to gall stones.

LosAngeles
Genuine user

Post by LosAngeles » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:23 am

Thank you for your reply!

Last Friday (a month after her antibiotic treatment for h pylori) she had a sonogram at the emergency room specifically looking at her gallbladder. The radiologist ruled out the possibility of gall stones.

Four months before she was diagnosed with h. pylori, she had a CT scan of her lower abdomen (without iv contrast). It revealed her spleen, gallbladder, liver, pancrease, adrenals, and lung basis were unremarkable. Her kidneys and ureters showed a few tiny punctate nonobstructive renal calculi in the kidneys. No hydronephrosis.
CT scan had further revealed her bowel had prominent stool throughout the colon. Nondialated bowel.
Appendix wasnt identified but no evidence of inflammation. Trace fluid in the dependent pelvis, likely physiologic. Lymph nodes, peritoneum, vessels, abdomen wall, and bones all unremarkable.

**At the time of her CT scan, she was also on prednisone.

Platelets last week were at 65 LL
This week they were at 57 LL (note that she was menstruating at the time of the last test--if that matters)

Average in lifetime is 40-45 LL

Thyroid TSH levels have been (on 112mg of Synthroid generic):
Feb. 2016. - TSH 3.6
March 2016 - TSH 2.9
Sept 21 2016 - TSH 12 (t3 normal / t4 normal). (approx. one month after h pylori antibiotic treatment ended)

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:25 am

sounds like a good news to me. I think your girlfriend has done all the necessary tests and they all came back fine. So at least there is no immediate danger or high risk for anything. It is unfortunate that current technology can only do up to this stage. The rest is a myth and we too like to know more.

I think most importantly is that your girlfriend is free of H. pylori. Now she'll just have to wait for the recovery.

Of course, make sure everyone under the same roof to be H. pylori free too. Although transmission among adult is low, it is better to avoid living with H. pylori carrier (including animals).

LosAngeles
Genuine user

Post by LosAngeles » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 am

yeah sounds promising. Thanks for your advice. I hadnt thought about getting myself check or my dogs. Yikes... I will have to.

Also, I read some articles that explained the Proton Pump Inhibitor tends to interfere with levothyroxine (or synthroid) used to treat her hypothyroidism.

Therefore, her TSH levels are possibly up because she was taking a PPI Lanzoprazole at the time of testing. Apparently the levothyroxine needs more acid to dossolve itself and absorb properly. A study I read says that this problem can be alleviated by switching to the oral form and upping the dosage of synthroid isnt the solution. ? who knows.. but this sounded pretty legitimate

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:06 am

in regarding to your dog, even if it is positive for Helicobacter, there is very little you can do about it. Because of the dog's nature, you cannot stop it from reinfection.

So, i would just avoid sharing food and drinks with dog. Make sure you are aware of those hygiene issue with pets, not just avoiding H. pylori. Also many other pathogen.

LosAngeles
Genuine user

Post by LosAngeles » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks for your tips about the dogs.

Just to keep this thresd going with addititonal information.
She had her endoscopy a few days ago. The good thing is she didnt need an IVIg before the endoscopy because her platelets are high enough now (for that mysterious unknown reason? couod it be the h pylori? stay tuned...

In the meantime, her stimsch looked fine on the endoscopy.
Some tenderness/redness, two polyps (removed... but no ulcer or tissue damage.
Gastritis present.

The day after anestia her head was killing her. Severe pain. (Short 15-20 minute burst of intense migraine like headaches. She had three today. All spread out over three and a half hours at bedtime (10pm / 22:00).

She says these headaches feel different than the h pylori pain that causes throbbing pressure in her head. She read an article anout anesthia and how it can cause severe headaches the next day from an allergic reaction.

Although she says she thinks these are a different type of pain/headache. I' observed her having headaches every few nighrs, usually around the sakme time 10pm-12am.

Her stomach still burns with pressure leading up to her head.

I read some good articles om the forum. So I got her an aloe drink, bland foods, more water and no coffee, fruits and vegetables.

Any recommendations for coping with pain after h pylori erradication?

Same thing today,

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:59 am

There are quite a few articles about H. pylori treatment fix iron deficiency.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3710418/

The stomach pain could be due to the removal of polyps. She can take paracetamol. But she MUST not take any aspirin, ibuprofen, or any NSAIDs. These NSAIDs inhibit the stomach secreting the protection mucus and stomach acid can start digesting the stomach.

LosAngeles
Genuine user

Post by LosAngeles » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:31 am

Thank you for the pain tips. She needs them! Even a couple months out and the pain has increased.

Update - 2 months since the treatment.

The first month her stomach pains were less frequent and less painful. But some pressure still existed.... eventually by the 2nd month that small pressure began to escalate into severe pains. Her stools contained some mucous... and she thinks a little blood or bloody tissue. As a result, doctors scheduled her for a colonoscopy for sometime in January.

She says it feels like a claw inside her stomach her body and that her abdomen is coming apart. She says it's not a pain similar to being injured but more like menstrual pain...and feels like it's bloody tissue that is coming through her poop. She has heartburn and burping. Lower abdomen hurts on contact...sometimes even if she just breathes in, she feels like there's no space to breathe in. Deep breaths hurt like she ate way too much food in her causing upper abdominal pain.

Doctors prescribed her a muscle relaxer. They think it might be a spasm.... ? Her stool is hard as a rock...

I'm wondering if she's on the right track or?

Thanks for reading this!

(This post would make really bad song lyrics)

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:34 am

Thanks for the update. I think her case is not common. She needs a doctor who can physically examine her. Keep us update with her results.

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms”