Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

H pylori, moderate gastritis

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

sms08h

H pylori, moderate gastritis

Post by sms08h »

Hello,
I was found to have an h pylori infection via a blood test. I completed 7 days of triple therapy (amoxicillin, omeprazole, and clarithromycin) 6 weeks ago. Eradication was confirmed 2 weeks later via a stool antigen test. 4 weeks after the treatment ended I decided to have an endoscopy because I still felt nauseous and had some burning in my stomach if I went awhile without eating.

The endoscopy showed moderate chronic gastritis in the Antrum of my stomach which is where h pylori usually causes gastritis, or so I hear. The endoscopy was negative for h pylori too. I do not have any hernias, crohns, celiacs, GERD, or any other problems going on. Only the gastritis. Sometimes I feel kinda normal and other times I feel I am going to throw up. I just feel nauseous and queasy sometimes for seemingly no reason. I am burpy and hiccupy a lot too. Acid reflux medication hasn't helped me at all so I can't have reflux. Much of the time my throat feels like it has a lump in it. Can gastritis cause a sensation like that? I don't eat spicy or acidic foods anymore, nor have I ever smoked. I have drank before but very seldom, only 1-2 drinks in a social setting. I've been "sick" now since March 13th. The last time I touched alcohol before that was last year. My GI tried putting me on a PPI to help the gastritis but it didn't make me feel any better. He said I didn't have to take it. My GI does not seem to think that the gastritis in my stomach is even severe enough to cause my symptoms. He thinks it's due to stress. (my diagnosing and treating physician is a different doctor than my GI). He almost seems to reject that I had h pylori at all.

I have read a bunch of studies online about non ulcer dyspeptic patients who don't feel better following treatment. Those people have no gastritis or anything PHYSICALLY wrong with them, right? I am trying to stay strong and positive but I worry I could do something and my gastritis will get worse or my condition will. Or that it could get worse for no reason at all. I hate feeling nauseous and queasy everyday.

1. Is the nausea that I still have most likely my stomach/body healing?
2. Is gastritis an organic disease?
3. Am I classified as one of those non-ulcer dyspeptic patients that don't feel better following treatment?
4. Will all of this eventually go away or will it always be this way?

Helico_scientist

Re: H pylori, moderate gastritis

Post by Helico_scientist »

Hello,

It can takes several months for your stomach to recover after H.pylori eradication. The good thing is that, apparently, H.pylori has been eradicated. I think you just have to be patient.

Good luck

sms08h

Post by sms08h »

thank you for response.

a friend of mine was treated empirically with flagyl twice a day for giardia for 3 days and then got a blood test checking for h pylori as well as giardia antibodies. the h pylori antibodies came back positive and the giardia was negative. would the flagyl make his blood test inaccurate? he isn't convinced that he has an h pylori infection. since i have had one I'm trying to get him to get treated. i know untreated h pylori can cause cancer and im really worried about him...

Helico_scientist

The best way to know if your friend has H.pylori is to do a breath test. I don't know about flegyl but, since the blood test is based on antibodies, it is pretty accurate. However, the blood test is going to tell you if you have and/or had H.pylori. It will stay positive even after eradication. That's why we prefer using the breath test. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about your friend. Indeed, I think its better to be treated when you know you have Hp. But remember that only a very small % of people having Hp have cancer/ulcer. Lots of people live all there life with this bacteria without having any symptoms.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

flagyl is actually an antibiotic metronidazole. I just want to comment that if you had metronidazole before, and then you were tested positive for H. pylori, there is a risk that your H. pylori will become resistant to metronidazole and fail the standard therapy.

Other possibilities are:
1. metronidazole killed most of the H. pylori and so the breath test result come back negative.
So, one should do the breath test at least 2 to 3 weeks after antibiotic treatment.

2. metronidazole kill off all the H. pylori (unlikely, but possible), you'll never see positive result again.
So, if breath test came back negative 2 to 3 weeks later and you are not satisfied, you can get another breath test a few months later to double confirm.

sms08h

Post by sms08h »

Is there any timetable for how long it takes the gastritis caused by h pylori to heal?
Does it ever heal completely?
My h pylori has been eradicated but could my gastritis get worse? By just eating normal food? I avoid spicy foods, acidic foods, salt, alcohol etc. I feel like the acid that's always in the stomach would never let it heal.

Helico_scientist

The gastritis should not get worse after Hp eradication. However it can take a long time to heal. How long? Every body will heal differently so its not easy to answer this question.

sms08h

Post by sms08h »

You guys are the best at responding promptly! :)
Do you know if gastritis completely heals or is it something we have to live with forever?
Thanks!

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

gastritis is inflammation in your stomach. If it is cause by H. pylori, and if you successfully eradicated H. pylori, the answer will be YES, gastritis will be completely healed.

sms08h

Post by sms08h »

SWEEEEEET! That's the best news I've heard in a long time. I guess now its just a matter of patience.

I have tried PPIs but I didn't really notice a difference on them and I actually sometimes would feel worse. I have tried H2 blockers before bed but don't really notice a difference with them either. Is there natural herbs/remedies to help this gastritis heal? I tried a fruit juice fast for 2 days to try to give my stomach a chance to heal but since I've stopped it I kind of have been feeling worse...

I avoid spicy foods, chocolate, alcohol, citrus fruits, acidic foods, etc but could gastritis from an h pylori infection get worse without treatment with an acid suppressor? (NOTE: my h pylori has been fully eradicated and now I'm just stuck battling gastritis day in and day out) One doc told me I didn't have to take an acid suppressor and another told me that without one it could get worse. I don't know what to do :?
My stomach doesn't burn. It just feels a little upset at times and I feel nauseous all the time. Sometimes I feel more nauseous then others.

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms 疾病与症状”