Announcement:

A new anti-spam extension has been installed in this forum. If you have problem registering or login the forum, please do not hesitate to email the admin.

Contact Admin Click Here

H pylori, moderate gastritis

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: H pylori, moderate gastritis

Post by Helico_expert » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:29 am

i have seen similar discussion before.

viewtopic.php?t=204821#p210284

I think it should be fine. I believe it's the change of microbiome in the guts because of the acid reduction. Continue monitor for a week or two and see if there it goes away.

Howtodealwithhpylori
Genuine user

Post by Howtodealwithhpylori » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:50 pm

I am new to this site, but I was reading about how you could possibly be resistant to flagyl if you've used it in the past for a non h pylori issue. Is there a way to do lab stool pcr testing to find out if the h. Pylori I have is antibiotic resistance to flagyl? I was recently diagnosed with h. Pylori 4 months ago, but have already taken many of the antibiotics on the list in the past (one round of augmentin (had a small hive reaction on day 7 of 10 day course that went away quickly, so not sure if I am allergic to amoxicillin?), three rounds of azithromycin (for sinus infection), one time with flagyl (for gastro/possible e-coli), and I'm allergic to avelox). I will be working with a gastroenterologist soon, but I am so worried that I have no antibiotic options to take. I had wanted to start with bismuth quadruple therapy, but after reading your comment about flagyl, I was wondering if my chances of eradication would be slim...
Helico_expert wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:06 am
flagyl is actually an antibiotic metronidazole. I just want to comment that if you had metronidazole before, and then you were tested positive for H. pylori, there is a risk that your H. pylori will become resistant to metronidazole and fail the standard therapy.

Other possibilities are:
1. metronidazole killed most of the H. pylori and so the breath test result come back negative.
So, one should do the breath test at least 2 to 3 weeks after antibiotic treatment.

2. metronidazole kill off all the H. pylori (unlikely, but possible), you'll never see positive result again.
So, if breath test came back negative 2 to 3 weeks later and you are not satisfied, you can get another breath test a few months later to double confirm.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:45 am

unfortunately the PCR test for any antibiotic resistance is not very accurate at the moment.

talk to your gastroenterologist to find out if he has access to a laboratory that can do bacteria culture.

H. pylori can never become resistant to Amox and Bismuth. Therefore you can always get a combination of PPI + Amox + Bismuth + something else (Tetracycline, Ciprofloxacin, Rifabutin, or Furazolidone).

If you are unfortunately sensitive to Amoxicillin, then you'll have to choose two of the antibiotics above that you have not used before. Nevertheless, I disagree on trying blindly. as you are only going to make your strain stronger and become more resistant. It is better you look for a gastroenterologist that has access to good laboratory that can culture H. pylori.

Howtodealwithhpylori
Genuine user

Post by Howtodealwithhpylori » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:40 am

Thanks so much for your reply.

I will check with the gastro office to see if they can do bacterial culture.

In regards to the possible augmentin allergy, since it was a small hive that went away quickly and didn't affect the rest of my 10 day treatment, I didn't think it was a big deal or even an allergic reaction back then. If I end up doing the treatment with amoxicillin + ppi+ bismuth + one other, and have minor hives reaction again (that I can take antihistamine for) does it mean that the antibiotics are not as effective at killing the bacteria? I can power through the mild discomfort, just want to make sure it won't make the antibiotic less effective.

Thanks!

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:12 am

anti histamine will not affect the antibiotic activity. however, it really depends on the side effect you are experiencing. if it's rashes, itch, and swelling, you can probably take anti-histamine. but you really should see a doctor in regards to the side effects. some side effects can be quite severe. eg: vomit, severe diarrhea, severe dizziness, etc

Howtodealwithhpylori
Genuine user

Post by Howtodealwithhpylori » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Ok, thanks for your response.

In regards to the bacteria culture for antibiotic resistance, is there a specific name for it, since it's not the PCR testing? Is it called antimicrobial susceptibility testing? I am trying to look for a doctor who can order this for me and if my doctor's associated lab does this sort of testing.

Howtodealwithhpylori
Genuine user

Post by Howtodealwithhpylori » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Also, is it a stool test or does it have to be a biopsy from an endoscopy?

Howtodealwithhpylori wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:53 pm
Ok, thanks for your response.

In regards to the bacteria culture for antibiotic resistance, is there a specific name for it, since it's not the PCR testing? Is it called antimicrobial susceptibility testing? I am trying to look for a doctor who can order this for me and if my doctor's associated lab does this sort of testing.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:31 am

antimicrobial susceptibility test is perfect.

and yes, it can only be done by endoscopy, where you can get the pure culture.

The stool sample contain too many contaminants. Very hard to culture H. pylori.

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms”