I am leaning toward H Pylori infection...

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderators: Toni, barjammar

JDee
Genuine user

I am leaning toward H Pylori infection...

Post by JDee » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Been lurking here for a while, and went to the doc to address my issues:

I am a 39 yr old male, in decent health, do not take any other meds for anything else.

I have heavy chest pressure around the same time that I am getting hungry. Even after I eat sometimes (depending on what i eat it seems). It radiates up my throat and i can notice a restriction in my breathing. Constantly feeling as if i need to take a deep breath ever now and then. If i palpate my abdomen while laying down, i have a sharp pain just above my navel, its along a lateral line 2-3 inches on either side of my navel. So draw a line a few inches above my navel, about 5-6 inches long, thats where i can feel the tenderness.

Went to the doc and he told me that doing a blood test would only tell me that ive had h pylori infection sometime in my lifetime, the same way you might carry chicken pox antibodies. We did do a cbc, and ultrasound on my pancreas, gallbladder and liver, all came back normal. I was really worried about it being my heart at first since we have a history in my family of men with heart attacks, but they all smoked and didnt have the best diet. The Dr also had me monitor my blood pressure, and it seems i have pretty good readings. ~125/70 seems to be the norm for me, resting heart rate between 55 and 65.

Ive lost about 20 pounds since seeing the doc in late december, mainly due to my diet change. lots of rice, soups...I also cut out the occasional whiskey (who wants a hot coal sandwich?) and beer. Beer didnt produce any negative stomach reactions, actually i kinda think it helped sometimes to burp up the bloated stomach.

In the beginning, i thought it was just a weird type of acid reflux, so i did what i usually do when i have what i'd call "normal" acid reflux pains, i'd take a tsp of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water, and the pain would go away. Ive done this several more times since, but not in the past month because i think i am only raising the acid levels in my stomach, which tightens the open in the top of the stomach, relieving me of the chest pressure and throat tightness and restricted breathing. But if you get a stomach full of the wrong food, with ACV delaying your stomach from emptying, it can produce some very long and painful stomach pains as a result.

I can still jog and exercise just fine, no chest pains afterwards from that. Its mainly just around eating times. A vet friend of mine gave me some Reglan to take 4 times a day to keep acid off my stomach, and this had IMMEDIATE relief. I had several days with no chest pains and stomach pains as long as i kept taking Reglan to keep my stomach emptying frequently, especially a couple hours before bed. But I think that is not a long term solution. The reglan may help keep acid off my stomach, and pain go away, but i dont know the long term effects of it.

I am hoping to find a walk in clinic that does h pylori breath tests, so i dont have to waste the time and money begging a doc to have the test ran.

Is any of this ringing true with past H pylori sufferers you guys have come across? I think so, hope im not leaving anything out that might trigger any ideas.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Re: I am leaning toward H Pylori infection...

Post by Helico_expert » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:51 am

It does sound like H. pylori infection. But I think it is best to get a breath test check before any antibiotic treatment.

Vince1975
Genuine user

Post by Vince1975 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:57 pm

I would definitely say it sounds like Hpylori.

Hope this helps.

am a 42 year old healthy male workout 4-5 days a week eat very well and don't drink

On Dec 25th 2016 I was
Experiencing what I thought was stomach virus. Sharp burning pains in right part of chest.
Severe ,heartburn lump in my throat when I swallowed. Weird taste in my mouth and always dry mouth.

Couldn't eat and lost a lot of weight. One early morning I was so scared I went to emergency room.
Followed by constipation and then diarrhea. It was horrible feeling.

My pee smelled foul and cloudy. Pains in my back and shoulders. Couldn't concentrate and was aggressive.

Helico_expert
Genuine user

Post by Helico_expert » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:06 am

H. pylori doesnt normally give acute symptoms. So what was the diagnosis from the emergency room?

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms”